“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.” – William Feather
Akin to the quote above, how are you still trying to look upon your life as an adventure when all you do is routine? The skies that reverberate and promise you of endless possibilities are blocked by skyscrapers that loom threateningly over your head, and the ticking sound from your clock reminds you that you’re getting closer to death every passing second. Shake off, get out of your mundane routine and pack your bags to go on the most thrilling and exhilarating rafting adventure in India- Rishikesh in Uttarakhand, the abode of rapids!
When in Rishikesh, one forgets about the hustle of the city- life and immerses oneself completely in the gushing sounds of the bustling River Ganga, or literally in the river itself! The days are filled with adrenaline rushes, thanks to adventure sports like kayaking, bungee jumping, rappelling, hiking, along with the main sport- rafting. At night, one camps on the banks of the river, under the clear starry sky with a cackling bon-fire that symbolically seems to extinguish your energies for the day.
Given below is some crucial information one must know before visiting Rishikesh for rafting on its rapids.
1. How to reach Rishikesh?
Easily accessible to all adventure lovers, Rishikesh is well connected to the nearest airport- Jolly Grant in Dehradun (21 kms), the nearest railway station- Haridwar Junction (approximately 24 kms) and also to major cites like New Delhi, etc by road.
2. What is the best time to visit Rishikesh?
It is best visited post- monsoon from the months of September to June. However, the winter months of December and January are generally avoided as the temperature drops steeply and it adds to the challenge of beating the gurgling rapids, while actually having fun doing so.
3. What are the types of rapids in Rishikesh?
In order to make rafting, as an adventure sport, extremely safe and accessible to all types of thrill seekers (be it novice or daredevils), rapids here have been categorically divided into 5 grades. Grade 1 rapids are easy to navigate with no risk involved, as the danger level increases upto Grade 5 rapids, which are dangerous and strictly only for experts (if you witness rafts over-turning near you, you’ll know those daredevils asked for it!).
4. What is the budget for rafting in Rishikesh?
The cost per person for rafting exclusively (excluding camping, meals and trekking), goes from Rs. 500 to Rs. 1800 only, depending on the stretch of the river they plan to conquer. This leads us to discussing the different rafting stretches in Rishikesh…
5. What are the different rafting stretches in Rishikesh?
1. Brahmapuri to Rishikesh– This route is the most popular route chosen by people. The reason for its popularity is that its course is low on risk and accommodates the need of every age group. Major rapids here are Sweet Sixteen, Body Surfing, Terminator, Hilton and Double Trouble and it costs a person just Rs. 500, covering 9 kms in over an hour.
2. Shivpuri to Rishikesh– This route is far more exciting with many challenges on its course, making it obviously risky to non- swimmers or first- timers. Grade 2 and 3 rapids including Roller Coaster, Return to Sender, etc. fall here and costs a person just Rs. 650, covering 16 kms in over 3 hours.
3. Marine Drive to Rishikesh– In case one wants a combination of danger, as well as the tranquility offered by the picturesque scenery, this is the right choice for you as its course is partially smooth and partially rocky. Rapids crossed here include Grade 1,2,3 rapids like Black Money, Cross Fire, etc. and costs only Rs. 850 per person, covering 24 kms in over 4 hours.
4. Kaudiyala to Rishikesh– Finally coming to the most challenging and the longest route, this one requires grit determination, energy and guts from those who choose to embark upon it. Rapids upto Grade 4 are found here, including The Wall, Eddy Whirlpool and Daniel’s Dip. It costs Rs. 1800 per person and covers approximately 34 kms in 8 hours.
Sounds exciting? What are you waiting for? Conveniently book your own adventure-packed rafting trip to Rishikesh, for a cheap price, right here!